M.S., Biology, Kansas State Teachers College (now Emporia State University), 1959
B.S.E., Industrial Arts and Biology, Kansas State Teachers College, 1957
A longtime teacher of Lawrence, Kansas, high school students in biology, Stan came to the Survey after retirement to continue sharing his interests and experiences in Kansas natural history. During his teaching career, he engaged his students in specimen collection projects through the Kansas Biological Survey as well as summer study projects funded by the former Kansas Fish and Game Commission. These forays included work tracking populations of various mammals and birds in Kansas. He was inducted into the Kansas Teachers’ Hall of Fame in 2011 and named the Kansas Ornithological Society's Avian Conservationist in 2007. Among his other many awards are the Outstanding Science Educator Award of Kansas Academy of Science in 1995.
Stan continues to conduct research in Kansas on:
- Distribution and ecology of bats
- Nesting colonies of Great Blue Herons
- Ecology of amphibians and reptiles
- Distribution and ecology of native flora
Prendergast, J.A, W.E. Jensen and S.D. Roth. 2010. "Trends in Abundance of Hibernating Bats in a Karst Region of the Southern Great Plains." Southwestern Naturalist, 55:331-339.
Roth, S.D. and J.M. Marzluff. 1989. "Nest Placement and Productivity of Ferruginous Hawks in Western Kansas." Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, 92[3-4]:132-148.
- - Fish tissue selenium body burden study on Bull Creek for the CHS Refinery (McPherson, KS). 2017
- - Reservoir water quality and storage changes: Potential impacts on clean water to support healthy Kansas communities. 2017
- - Synthesizing population and community synchrony to understand drivers of ecological stability across LTER sites. 2017
- - Ambrosia collections 2016
- - Amending below for aboveground growth: Using arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal inoculations to improve growth and ecosystem services in perennial polycultures. 2016
- - CHAT GIS and metadata manager. 2016
- - CNH-L: Scale-dependent feedbacks among protected areas and surrounding socio-ecological systems. 2016
- - Collaborative research: Fire-fungal feedbacks in pyrogenic ecosystems. 2016
- - Collaborative research: Interactive effects of exogenous and endogenous SPA. 2016
- - Data Sharing and Cooperative Agreement between the State Natural Heritage Program and NatureServe. 2016