Nutrient Criteria Workgroup
US EPA's Regional Technical Assistance Group (RTAG) for EPA Region 7:
- Consists of CPCB and state, tribal, and university agencies.
- To establish nutrient criteria for lakes, streams, and wetlands of the US EPA Region 7.
- The EPA's Clean Water Action Plan 1998 goal is to protect aquatic life from nutrient overenrichment.
- See National Strategy for the Development of Regional Nutrient Criteria (US EPA 1998).
Once guideline nutrient criteria are determined:
- Development phase: The USEPA will provide assistance to State and Tribes to develop nutrient criteria to be expressed as numerical ranges.
- Implementation phase: States and Tribes will include the developed criteria as part of their water quality standards within three years after developing the criteria.
Denver Nov. 2008 Region 7 and 8 meeting
CPCB has assembled a wetland database for the RTAG to examine to determine potential classification schemes and reference condition schemes for use in nutrient criteria. Click to download or link to the various documents used in the Region 7 wetland database
CPCB MO floodplain talk (pdf)
- UPDATED The R7 database (MSAccess)
- Google Earth coverage of the 309 sites that have coordinates (.kmz) (not all had data)
- Link to the USFWS NWI Google Earth coverage. (hint - to see the NWI wetland polygons, turn off all layers except continental US, and zoom in on a site, and wait til it loads)
- USEPA Wetland Classification Module 7 (pdf)
- Link to the Soil Data Mart. Geospatial data can be downloaded from this site to use in your own GIS
- Link to the WebSoilSurveyinteractive tool
- 2008 USDA Hydrogeomorphic paper (pdf)
- 1995 Smith et al. USACE Hydrogeomorphic paper (pdf)
- 1993 Brinson hydrogeomorphic classification (pdf)
- 2004 Brooks et al. GIS (pdf)
- Biological condition gradient (pdf)
- 2002 Wilcox et al. IBI (pdf)
- Cowardin 1979 (pdf)
- A review of Cowardin 1979 (pdf)
- Natural Heritage Program (pdf)
- Canadian wetland classification (pdf)
- Detenbeck EPA (pdf)
- A table comparing classifications with vegetation (pdf)
- Region 7 wetlands: Webpage of CPCB sampling.
- Reference wetlands: 147. Beury, J.H. , D.S. Baker, and D.G. Huggins. 2008. Wetlands in Three Ecoregions of the Central Plains. Open-file Report No. 147. Kansas Biological Survey, Lawrence, KS. 15 pp.
- Missouri River wetlands: Webpage of CPCB wetland sampling.
- How CPCB used landuse to estimate wetland reference condition: 142. Kriz, J., D. Huggins, C. Freeman, J. Kastens. 2007. Assessment of Floodplain Wetlands of the Lower Missouri River Using a Reference-based Study Approach. Open-file Report No. 142. Kansas Biological Survey, Lawrence, KS. 63 pp.
The Region 7 Lake Nutrient Criteria document is completed and available below. During the lake meetings, the RTAG developed a list of reference lakes located in USEPA Region 7.
- USEPA RTAG7. 2011. Nutrient Reference Condition Identification and Ambient Water Quality Benchmark Development Process, Freshwater Lakes and Reservoirs within USEPA Region 7. US Environmental Protection Agency Regional Technical Advisory Group, Region 7, Kansas City, KS. 42 pp. (pdf)
- List of reference lakes.
- Guidelines to select reference lakes.
- Lake database (xls)
- Dzialowski, A.R., S.H. Wang, N.L. Lim, J.H. Beury, and D.G. Huggins. 2008. Effects of sediment resuspension on nutrient concentrations and algal biomass in reservoirs of the Central Plains. Lake and Reservoir Management 24(4):313-320.
Map of lakes in USEPA Region 7 RTAG database, with Omernik Level III ecoregions.
- USEPA RTAG7. 2011. Nutrient Reference Condition Identification and Ambient Water Quality Benchmark Development Process, Rivers and Streams within USEPA Region 7. US Environmental Protection Agency Regional Technical Advisory Group, Region 7, Kansas City, KS. 69 pp. (pdf)
- Slide presentation of RTAG work (pdf)
- Stream database (MSAccess)
- CPCB Nutrient/Reference Streams Project Page
- Abstract - Thresholds in macroinvertebrate biodiversity across water quality gradients in central plains lotic ecosystems, M.A. Evans-White, W. Dodds, D. Huggins, D.Baker, NABS 2008
- Evans-White, M.A., W.K. Dodds, D.G. Huggins, and D.S. Baker. 2009. Threshold patterns in aquatic biodiversity across water quality gradients in Central Plains streams and rivers. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 28(4):855–868.
Map of stream sites in USEPA Region 7 database, ecoregion legend is above.