M.S., Biology, Kansas State Teachers College (now Emporia State University), 1959
B.S.E., Industrial Arts and Biology, Kansas State Teachers College, 1957
A longtime teacher of Lawrence, Kansas, high school students in biology, Stan came to the Survey after retirement to continue sharing his interests and experiences in Kansas natural history. During his teaching career, he engaged his students in specimen collection projects through the Kansas Biological Survey as well as summer study projects funded by the former Kansas Fish and Game Commission. These forays included work tracking populations of various mammals and birds in Kansas. He was inducted into the Kansas Teachers’ Hall of Fame in 2011 and named the Kansas Ornithological Society's Avian Conservationist in 2007. Among his other many awards are the Outstanding Science Educator Award of Kansas Academy of Science in 1995.
Stan continues to conduct research in Kansas on:
- Distribution and ecology of bats
- Nesting colonies of Great Blue Herons
- Ecology of amphibians and reptiles
- Distribution and ecology of native flora
Prendergast, J.A, W.E. Jensen and S.D. Roth. 2010. "Trends in Abundance of Hibernating Bats in a Karst Region of the Southern Great Plains." Southwestern Naturalist, 55:331-339.
Roth, S.D. and J.M. Marzluff. 1989. "Nest Placement and Productivity of Ferruginous Hawks in Western Kansas." Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, 92[3-4]:132-148.
- - Impact assessment of the Lawrence waste water treatment plant on the Wakarusa River: follow-up assessment. 2020
- - Alexios Reference Lake assessment study. 2019
- - Collaborative Research: The role of ecological heterogeneity in a long-term grassland restoration experiment. 2019
- - Connections among aquatic microbiomes and water quality degradation. 2019
- - Digitization TCN: Collaborative Research: American Crossroads: Digitizing the Vascular Flora of the South-Central United States 2019
- - Ethnobotany and Plant Conservation Education Program. 2019
- - Fungal community structure and enzymatic profiles are shaped by soil horizon and land management in a tallgrass prairie. 2019
- - Greater prairie chicken interstate working group planning and coordination 2019
- - Indian Creek wastewater impact assessment study. 2019
- - Legume-rhizobia mutualism as a driver of grassland composition and community resistance to invasion. 2019